A foreign citizen will be called a US citizen, when he becomes a legal member of America. On gaining US citizenship, the individual will be entitled to many citizenship rights and responsibilities along with the freedom and opportunities offered by America. Becoming a US citizen is a dream of many immigrants.
There are three ways through which a person can become a US citizen:
- If you were born in America, you will automatically become citizen of America.
- If you were born to US citizens, abroad, you will also be a US citizen as your parents were US citizens.
- If you are a person born abroad to foreign nationals, and had immigrated to the United States, you may become a US citizen through Naturalization. Naturalized US citizens are considered to be an important part of the democracy of America.
If you are a US citizen, you will be given certain privileges and citizenship rights which include,
- The right to vote. By becoming a US citizen, you will be given the right to vote for any politician of your own choice. You can also participate in the democracy of the United States. You will have no restrictions in terms of casting your vote and you can vote in the state, federal and local elections.
- Eligibility to get an employment opportunity in all the state and federal jobs and certain other jobs which require American citizenship.
- Protection from the policy changes of the government. At times the government may change its policies likely to affect non US citizens, related to benefits and social income. You will not be affected by these changes if you become a US citizen.
- If you are a Green Card holder, you must renew your Green Card every 10 years but while becoming a US citizen, you need not renew your citizenship certificate.
- On becoming a US citizen through naturalization, your children below age 18 will also become a US citizen and will be eligible to receive benefits entitled to all US citizens.
- As an American citizen, you will be eligible to sponsor you family members, helping them to enter the United States and stay there as permanent residents. Apart from your parents, spouse and children, you can also sponsor your siblings and married children.
- You will get the freedom to travel in and around the United States without any restriction and you will be entitled to various other benefits by possessing a US passport.
After becoming an American citizen, you must also act as a responsible citizen of the United States by Supporting the US Constitution and by serving the country when required. You must obey the local, state and the federal laws and take part in the democratic process and in the local community. You must also respect the beliefs, rights and opinions of the others.
All these citizenship rights and responsibilities are important, in order to ensure that the United States remains as an independent and a prosperous country.